[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube Type Tesla Coils

  Date:
        Sat, 15 Mar 1997 00:28:28 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<<snip >>no transmission line with a Tesla coil. One way to make the
test is
>set
> up a robust oscillator and connect it to the TC secondary coil via a
> calibrated transmission line and a bridge type VSWR meter. This test
> would
>not be static and would be at low voltage.

John,     I seem to remember hearing that the Corum's (or maybe their
students), did this with a tube coil.  If I remember correctly, they
were
able to acheive a quite low, maybe 1.5 or so VSWR, and they said the
coil did
perform best at lowest VSWR.  I don't remember where I heard this story.

>  The Corum's said they measured a TC at 1000 VSWR but did not say how
> it was done.

It was my impression that these high VSWR's were acheived using some
form of
actual cavity, but I have no "hard" info on the matter.  I don't really
know.

>. Dr. Gary Johnson of Kansas State University measured a TC at
> 200
> VSWR. He gave some details on this test at the 1992 Tesla Symposium in
> Colorado Springs.

>  The advantage of knowing the VSWR of the TC is to determine if the TC
> is
> properly tuned for maximum output. The Q factor can also be found with
> this
> test. This Q factor should then be coordinated with the operating spark
> gap duration.

I thought that k factor would much outweigh Q factor regarding firing
duration requirements.

>  Has any coiler researched this parameter? This test is also related to
> the
> Smith Chart but I have not found that very helpful. The Smith Chart was
> designed for radio work.

>   John Couture

John Freau