[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

variac

Subject:
        variac
  Date:
        Sat, 15 Mar 1997 01:33:15 -0600 (CST)
  From:
        c604313-at-showme.missouri.edu
    To:
        Tesla listserver <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hello to all!

It sure would be nice to hook up a variac transformer on the primary
side
of some step up transformers. My question is by how much can one skimp
on
the power rating of such devices??

Consider banked neons totaling 15 kv at 150 ma = 2250 W impedance
matched
with the primary caps in an equidrive setup. Certainly one wouldn't need
20 amperer variac running off of a 110 line. Could one get by with just
10 amperer variac if running a coil for only short periods of time  (10
minutes) ?? What have you all been able to get by with safely?

I've been enjoying all the discourse and expertise of the list!

                             -Bert S.