[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wiring questions

-- BEGIN included message

<< I am stuck once again in my effort to finish off my first coil.

 This is my list of components:

 9kV neon 30 ma
 salt water cap bank (Not measured yet, but should be around .0063uf)
 9 piece copper pipe spark gap spaced at .025"
 primary 3/8 inch copper tubing tapped at 8 turns
 secondary about 588 turns of 20 ga wire on a 6.375" tube

 What I am needing help on is how do I wire the components together?
 What do I attach to ground, etc, etc.  I hope you have the time to
 explain this. If there is a good description/ diagram in the Tesla
 Archive, you could even direct me there.

 Thanks in advance.

 Nathan
 --
 Nathan Lamphere >>

Nathan,

>From the transformer high voltage bushings, connect one lead to the primary
(I use the inside primary lead) and connect the other to one side of your
capacitor.  Now connect a flexible lead from the other side of the capacitor
to the primary.  I fashion a spring loaded clip lead for this with some
curved copper pieces soldered cross ways on the clips so I will clip on the
primary tubing to allow easy tuning.  Now the spark gap is connected right
across the high voltage transformer but physically close to the capacitor and
primary.  The leads from the transformer can be long but the leads connecting
the gap to the capacitor and to the primary should be as short and as beefy
as you can accomplish.

I also place a safety gap located at or near the transformer with the center
contact grounded to your main RF ground.  The base of the secondary also goes
to this main RF ground - with either heavy solid wire or something like 2.0"
wide aluminum or copper flashing.  This RF ground should be a separate,
dedicated ground and not your house wiring ground.  Set the safety gaps to
about .35" on each side and adjust from there so it just barely fires when
the coil is running.  This will protect the transformer.  You should also use
some inductance and resistance in series with each leg of the transformer,
located right at the output of the transformer.  My inductors came out a
little on the low side (about 1 mh each), you would like to have about 5 mh
here.  I am also using 3,000 ohm 25 watt resistors in series with each
inductor.

Ed Sonderman

-- END included message