[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnet Design for Tesla Coils]

-- BEGIN included message

>Thanks for all the great references above. Did you see significant
>improvement in coil performance when running at either the 5 or 10
>kGauss level? Also, do you have any "feel" for comparative performance
>between this approach and a straight high-velocity vacuum gap?  Also,
>what'd you use to insulate the magnet poles from the arc - sounds like
>it might have been something other than mica?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>-- Bert --
>
>Bert,

I have built two different mag quench gaps in the past. (both shown on our
video tapes.)  One electromagnetic and one permenant magnet type.  The
electromagnetic type was a definite flop and the permenant magnet version
actually worked.  It used a converted and milled neon sign transformer E
core and neodymium iron boron magnets.  The field strength in the gap was
~5500 gauss. Measured with my F.W. Bell gaussmeter.  After a number of
tests, it was determined that a small 7 static series gap system would kick
its butt into the middle of next week on a 1KW system.  Due to the
complexity of construction, I do not use the magnetic quench actively now at
all.  I would not recommend it to anyone who already has a nice series gap
system.  As a Tesla coil builders curiousity, it is the cat's pajamms.

Richard Hull, TCBOR

-- END included message