[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Re: Magnet Design for Tesla Coils

-- BEGIN included message

Bert (and all):

No, I didn't see a significant difference in performance as compared to
series gap, for example, but based on what follows, I think magnetic
quenching is a viable method to investigate.  I have not tried a "high
velocity vacuum gap" as you mentioned.  One problem I introduced (yea, I
screwed up due to my ignorance) was the electode geometry in the magnetic
field.  I built an enclosed spark gap so I could evacuate it with a vacuum
pump;  the electrode geometry closely resembled the World War II vintage
RADAR spark gap tubes, i.e, an cylindrical aluminum cathode that was
concentric to a tungsten anode (the design minimizes electrode erosion).

The spark gap worked great (at atmospheric pressure) without a magnetic
field,  its performance was equal to a series gap. With a magnetic field
applied, there was no discernible diference in performance.  However, I
placed the tube in a magnetic field so the tubes' axis was perpendicular to
the magnetic field.  Gee, sounds good!  But, with the electrode geometry I
described, the spark propagates perpendicular to the tube axis.  In other
words, the spark path was parallel to the magnetic field and does not aid in
quenching the spark.   Live and learn!

So, can't comment on higher fields based on my erroneous set-up, but I think
it's worth looking into.   In using an enclosed spark gap, the glass envelope
acted as an insulator when the spark gap was placed within the magnets' gap;
 with an open air gap, I used mica sheets with some success, but they don't
always hold up when using a 15KV, 60mA sign transformer.  The other idea is
to perhaps adapt the ceramic nozzle assemblies used in MIG welding equipment
(check out a local welding supply store for things other than tungsten TIG
rods) as insulators.

Hope this helps, Bert and that my mistakes might benefit others.  But hey,
how else do we learn?  Too bad there wasn't an easier way!

TIMOTHY RANEY, TCBOR

-- END included message