[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube Type Tesla Coils

-- BEGIN included message

Greetings,

What I understand the heart of what Jack Couture is saying is that due to the
number of postings, it's hard to separate the various topics so that a
subscriber can read only what they are interested in.

First and foremost, the problem stems from people not keeping the subject line
current.  Given a well written subject line, I can tell what's worth reading
and what I can skip (as a subscriber, not moderator :-)).

Second, it takes a fair amount of effort to run a list.  If the list is split
into too many sub lists, it gets to be too much trouble to maintain and
moderate each one.  The other problem with sub lists is where do you draw the
line?  Some of the tube coiling information is useful to "standard" coilers,
and vice versa.  Then you have to worry about cross posting, etc.

I think that the list has achieved a sort of critical mass where there are
enough people that there is a good flow of information that is self
sustaining.  The flow of information maintains enthusiasm and interest.  By
splitting the list up into several smaller lists, this enthusiasm will dwindle
and the traffic will die out.  At that point, no one is served.  I have seen
this on smaller lists.  There are a bunch of postings at first and then they
die out until there is nothing.

My final recommendation:  Look into filters, fix your subject heading to make
it easy to determine what you are asking.

Chip
chip-at-pupman-dot-com
chip-at-xig-dot-com
listown-at-pupman-dot-com