[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor Delivery.

-- BEGIN included message

Robert W. Stephens wrote:
> Date:          Wed, 05 Mar 1997 17:19:04 -0600
> From:          Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
> To:            Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject:       Capacitor Delivery.

> Hello All:
>     Well, I finally was rewarded for being patient in waiting quietly
> for Plastic Capacitors, Inc. to make and deliver my new cap.  Last night
> about 5:30 PM the UPS truck pulled up and there was my .05 mfd -at- 30,000
> VAC cap., ordered on 1/2/97.  They did a great packaging job and it was
> clearly labeled as "Delicate Electronics".  That might be stretching
> things, but the carton was in excellent shape.  I hope to be able to
> resonate first the secondary with the new toroid, which I finished the
> rough assembly on last night and now with the cap I can ball park the
> primary circuit too.  In the basement things are just too close together
> to do anything exact--the toroid will be within inches of the suspended
> ceiling and all the steel rail supports for it, but what the heck, it
> will be fun just getting a rough cut idea as to where things are.  I
> guess I really just want to pretend it's ready to go.
>     All that's left now is tape coating the toroid O.D. with aluminum
> tape, the spacer for the top of the secondary to mount the toroid on and
> then connecting up the primary components and positioning things for a K
> of around .22, if I can!  Hope to be 100% done now in about two weeks.
> I looked at Bill Wysock's web site after the information on it was
> posted last week.  It was real interesting and I decided to send an
> e-mail to him.  He was nice enough to reply right away -- he'd be
> another positive addition to the group!  That's all for now, back to the
> basement
>
> Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Nice to hear you are getting really close to trying out your system.
It is somewhat similar to my MTC system and I'm very interested to
see what it will do.

I have an immediate need for a capacitor absolutely *identical* to the one you
just received from Plastic Caps Inc.  Would you mind sharing
technical details of it with me (dimensions, weight, ESI), ... and the price?
Were you dealing directly with the President, Tom Brown?

Thanx,
Robert
 Hello Robert, Max, Rick & All:
            Well, this note started with a walk to pick up the scale in the bathroom!  I think I can now answer all questions posed by the three of you.  First, maybe the worst part, the cost.  I did order directly with Tom Brown being the individual taking the order--I didn't know he is President of the Plastic Capacitors, Inc.,--he's really very friendly and I ended up describing the two coils at the Milwaukee Discovery World Museum to him, he was very interested in them and indicated he might take a drive up some day.  Ah, yes the price.  Tom indicated the list price is $890.00 but he would sell it for $525.00 plus shipping.  I sent $540.00 and it arrived 8 weeks later.  I specifically requested a cap rated at a minimum of 500 bps--Tom said fine and it never came up again.  The part number I have is a BNZ 3000-503T, a .05 mfd. -at- 30,000 VAC.  It weighs 37 pounds (bathroom scale!) and the dimensions are 6 3/4" wide, 12" long case, 11 5/8" high, with a 13 1/2" long base plate with 4 mounting holes.  The case appears to be a phenolic material and is about 1/4" thick (I guess, too lazy to go downstairs again!).  On the top are two 1.100" hex studs that are drilled and tapped for a 3/8-16 UNC bolt.  They are at least 1 1/4" long, based on the length of the hole drilled at tapped, about 5/16" sticks up from the top plate--oops, better add that last 5/16" to the overall height.  There are also two drilled and tapped holes, about 1/4-20 or so, in the top plate that have threaded plugs sealed with RTV run in to them.  Probably the fill and vent holes--no sloshing is heard like with the CP caps that some of us have.  That's the most of it.  Nice construction,  hope to test it soon!

Chuck Curran

-- END included message