[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Optimum coil configuration

-- BEGIN included message

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 12:45:12 -0700
From: Stanley Harle <lazer-at-earth.wazoo-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Optimum coil configuration (fwd)

This is a forward of a message that I sent yesterday, but haven't seen
appear on the list.

Hi y'all,
	I have been operating the following setup for a while now. Because
of business trips, winter, laziness and various personal disasters, I
haven't gotten to do as much experimenting as I'd like.  Lately, though I
find that I'm having a bit more time to play (and it's been warmer)
so I got to wondering about the consistently poor (in my view) performance
that I've gotten from my coil.

	The stats are:
	2 15-at-30 neons
	around 50 feet of 3/8" copper, 3/8" apart for primary
		Primary is sometimes inclined for better performance
	a CP .025 uF capacitor
	6.5" X 27.25" secondary
	various toroidal terminals

	The system usual tunes at about 8.25 turns or so.  The best
performance to date has been about 22", from the largest toroid that I
have, about 30" X 3 made from drain duct for trailers.
	Would I get better performance given the power limitations that I
have from a shorter secondary?
	Would a shorter secondary cause the tuning to move to less turns
or more?

Stan Harle
Alamogordo, NM

-- END included message