[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [Fwd: Tube Type Tesla Coils]

-- BEGIN included message

At 03:00 AM 3/7/97 -0600, you wrote:
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>Subject: Tube Type Tesla Coils
>Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 06:30:50 +0000
>

>To All -
>
>I have noticed lately that sometimes over 50% of the Tesla List postings
>refer to tube type TC's. It should be noted that tube type TC's are not true
>Tesla coils.
>
>Tube TC's operate with continuous sine waves from a radio transmitter type
>of power supply. The load on the transmitter is not the usual resistive
>antenna type load but a reactive coil circuit load. This device uses coils
>and capacitors in a much different manner than the way they are used in
>standard Tesla coils. There is no charging of a primary capacitor to create
>dampened sine waves like the typical classical TC, etc. This type of
>operation produces brush type sparks and sometimes disruptive sparks
>depending on the adjustments.
>
>The tube operation and the classical coil TC (or magnifier) operation are
>two completely different methods of producing sparks. The standard classical
>TC operates with a VSWR of about 10 to 1000 while the tube TC operates with
>a VSWR of about 1 to 3 like most radio transmitters. I show a graph of these
>two types of operation in the Tesla Coil Notebook. Has anyone tried to
>measure the VSWR of their classical or tube coils? The Corum's said they had
>made these measurements but gave no details. I have tried to make these
>tests but did not have much success.
>
>At one time I started to add a chapter to one of my books that would cover
>tube TC's. I soon realized that I could not find enough information on these
>devices to develop a method of engineering design criteria that was possible
>with the typical classical TC's.
>
>It appears that now there are several coilers that have enough information
>to write a tube TC book and publish it for other coilers interested in this
>type of device.
>
>My question is " Should tube TC's be on a separate Tesla List of it's own?".
>Coilers who are interested in tube types will then not have to scan thru
>classical coil (or magnifier) postings to find the information they need.
>
>John C.

John

>I would think that as long as a system is 1.designed to produce spark - 2.
does so using the good office of resonance - 3. utilizes at least two
inductive devices in achieving this goal,  it can be called a real tesla coil.

  This same issue came up in the 1992 letters to the editor of Popular
Electronics regarding Duane Bylund's coil.  It evidently didn't quack or
look enough like a duck to many "suppossed" Tesla coilers to be classed as
such.  A number of folks lined up in the letter column to denigrate what was
probably the best modern embodiment of one of Tesla's grandest ideas - the
magnifier.  This is exactly what Bylund had made, complete with the three
coil design.

How we excite a system is of little concern unless we are looking for
efficiency, and even then, efficiency in what area?  Whether it is a spark
gap, hydrogen thyratron, hard tube oscillator, FET, transistor, Quadrac, or
SCR, it matters not as long as the energy from the switch or non-linear
device winds up resonant and produces spark.

If it resonants and shoots spark, it is a Tesla system.

Richard Hull, TCBOR

-- END included message