[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: H2 thyratron update]

-- BEGIN included message

All,
As most of you may remember my complete reporting of the week long
investigation during Christmas of the results of the electrostatic genration
by Tesla coils, you might also remember the H2 thyratron gap replacement
system I tested as well.

I mentioned that I would work on back to back units to mime a truly variable
dwell gap.  I just obtained the special sockets for the 5C22s and hope to
get underway soon.  The hassle is that the grids will probably have to be
left positive for the total conduction period regardless of oscillation
polarity back from the primary.  This is a classic no-no for these puppies.
the problem of course is field emmision possibilities from the grid and the
associated grid current which might be significant. (Good thing I got a
beefy grid pulse system!) Also, the conducting tube should grab most of the
real power, as it damned well should.  The only reason it might work is the
frequency of the system is high- 500khz and the peak power level quite low
under- 80 KW (tubes are rated at 1.2 megawatts)- conducting grids are not
part of that rating.  It will be all in the finest Freau tradition... only
it'll be red grids in the sunset. I'm also expecting a bit of cathode
sparking and particle release (gotta video this thing for our tapes.)  The
last hassle is to remove the supply totally from the system during ring.  To
be done with a hard tube or maybe even a specially adapted rotary gap.  The
Vacuum purists and the SPCT (society for the prevention of cruelty to tubes)
will be all over me like a cheap suit.

I got lotsa' ideas, equipment and stuff, but little time.  The work
progresses.  More as it happens.

Richard Hull, TCBOR

-- END included message