[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Salt Water Caps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 02:55:58 -0700
From: "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Salt Water Caps (fwd)

To: Bob Schumann

The poly bottles will work, but a Rich pointed out the walls are rather
thin.  A sudden puncture can produce  reflected standing waves that might
damage a neon transformer if not well protected with RF chokes.

We use some large "cooking" polyethylene jars with a .060 wall that seem to
work well to construct replicas of antique Leyden jars.  We fit them with
brass balls and oak wood tops to make them look antique.  Typical jar is 16
inches high with a dia. of 10-12 inches.  We use foil up inside and outside
2/3 height of jar.  Average value is 2,000 pFd at 60 KV DC per jar.

The poly jars are imported (Danish I think).  Check with your local cooking
outlets in large city.

60 mils in an absolute minimum for 12 KV and 90 mils is better.  Use 120
mils if running a 15 KV (rms) transformer.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net