[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Jumpstarted Lamps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:23:16 -0500
From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Jumpstarted  Lamps (fwd)

> Date:          Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:59:35 -0700 (MST)
> From:          Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Jumpstarted  Lamps (fwd)

>   This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
>   while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>   Send mail to mime-at-docserver.cac.washington.edu for more info.
>
> ------------62964D946910

Kevin,

It sure sounds to me like you are putting HV RF spikes onto your
mains wiring.  If so you are lucky that all you lost was a nearby
light dimmer.  I've been there and my list of damaged goods includes
an electric can opener that was in the kitchen, sitting on the
grounded metal stovetop.  Seems the ac mains inside the can opener
got elevated quite high above ground.  It managed to make a corona
path through the plastic case to the stove. The higher current 60 Hz took
over at that point and finished the job.  I also lost a wall oulet on
the end of an outdoor power run to one of my trailers.  The insides
were blown up pretty good.  It seems you get a standing wave
phenomenon on your house wiring and things get fried at random
locations within the network.  I'm much more careful and use good RFI
line filters now in every coil system I build.  I also employ a
dedicated filtered 100 amp service in the lab for coil power.

rwstephens