[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Good question... More Caps = Larger streamers? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 08:09:01 -0500 (EST)
From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Good question... More Caps = Larger streamers? (fwd)

At 09:11 PM 2/27/97 -0700, you wrote:

> [...]

Amps can't be stored in a capacitor only potential.  Amps are a function of
that charge potential and the closed circuit impedance of the circuit which
the capacitor is discharged into.(which also relates to the size of the
capacitor as well as other circuit variables)  Remember, if you double the
cap you will need more energy input in order to charge it.

 Therefore, you will, in theory, get more spark.  This is not always the
real world case.  If you reduce your rep rate, accordingly while increasing
capacitance you will, in theory be staying where you were from an energy
standpoint.  However, your circuit current per pulse will be up no matter
what and since the coil's output voltage is a function of primary circuit
peak current, in theory, more spark should still be available but with less
time averaged system energy.  Now, the theory is just that.  There are many
other more subtle factors in this process and the final answer is...
maybe...maybe not...  It is the real world and physics way of saying it
ain't all that simple. (except in theory of course)  You should build one
and see what happens and then don't accept what you see.  Use your knowledge
and craft to alter certain small items to check their impact.  After
achieving maximum spark from increasing Cp, plus applying all your craft and
knowledge, now see how the theory looks.  If it looks wrong, then what did
you screw with to maximize the spark after that first pass Cp doubling?
This is how the REAL secrets of the system are won.

This may seem like a double talk answer, but its the answer that teaches the
most.  Hands on work with a background in the theory always finds the real
answers.

Richard Hull, TCBOR