[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 60 ma v.s. 30 ma

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, June 26, 1997 2:17 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: 60 ma v.s. 30 ma

At 04:44 AM 6/26/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

  Ed -

  As I mention in one of my books comparing a large pole pig transformer
output at a reduced level with the equal output of a small transformer is
not a proper comparison. The outputs may appear to be equal but other
parameters affecting the spark length will not be equal.

  To get accurate data from the 30/60 ma test you will have to use 30 and 60
ma neons. Every size and type of transformer has its own unique
characteristics such as waveshape, percent impedance, etc., that affect
spark length. The neon is a current limiting transformer with completely
different characteristics compared to pole pigs.

Note also that the wattage of the transformer must be sufficient to
completely charge the capacitor for both tests. One of the biggest
difficulties that all coilers have in making tests is to do the test
correctly and to understand the results. I have found that sometimes when I
do a test over again that the earlier test was done incorrectly. It is a
good idea to do the test more than once.

  John Couture