[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 60 vs. 30 ma - charging

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, June 25, 1997 3:36 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: 60 vs. 30 ma - charging

At 12:13 PM 6/25/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

  Skip -

  The neon transformer problem is not simple and has confused many coilers.
I like to look at the neon problem from a loading standpoint. The voltage
and wattage output will vary depending on the load. However, the current
wiil be constant only up to a design load then it will quickly reduce to
zero as the load goes to infinity (open circuit). The voltage and wattage
will be almost zero at almost zero load.

The design load is   Z = V/I   where V is the voltage rating of the neon and
I is the current rating. You will recognize this equation as the one that is
sometimes (incorrectly) used when selecting the TC primary capacitor size.

  To find the voltage at different loads use

         V = ZxI    where Z is the load ohms and I is the rated current of
the neon transformer.

  For example   12000 volt  30 ma  360 watt neon transformer

  If load is 200 Kohms resistor

                  V = 200 000 x .03 = 6000 volts
                  W =  V I = 6000 x .03 = 180 watts

  The load resistor will get hot!

    The voltage (Ohms law) and wattage is a linear relationship with the
load because the current is constant.

  With a capacitor the loading on the neon is an exponential curve. The
voltage on the cap starts at zero (load almost zero) and builds up to the
voltage rating of the neon in an exponential curve (vs time) at constant
current. When the voltage on the cap equals the voltage rating of the neon
the current reduces to only the losses of the circuit (load is very high
impedance).

  The big question is how does the TC pri cap load the neon when turned on
and off by the operating spark gap at different breaks per second? Do any
coilers on the List know how to find the optimum conditions? I have been
working on this problem for some time but with little success. Keep in mind
that the loading on the neon should be maximized for best results (an
iterative solution?).

  John Couture