[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Mini Coils (scopes)

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, June 24, 1997 7:37 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: More Mini Coils

At 11:51 PM 6/23/97 +0000, you wrote:

>From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
>Sent: 	Sunday, June 22, 1997 11:38 PM
>To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: 	Re: More Mini Coils

  Malcolm -

  A storage scope  captures and holds a certain signal on the scope for
study. It can not count the number of breaks/charges per spark unless you
have a custom made scope. If your storage scope can integrate several
signals to present a trace that represents the wattage summation of many
sparks it could be used for a watts per ft of spark rating.

  The input currents and therefore wattages to the TC transformer are in
surges from the utility company. Summing this data with an integrating
storage scope would give you one of the variables needed for a watts per ft
of spark rating.

  The other variable would be the spark length which is varying in length.
The easiest way to average this variable is to use a horizontal continuous
spark from the toroid to a ground point, a controlled spark length..

  With these two variables determined it is then possible to calculate the
true watts per ft of spark for the coil.

  Note that measuring the wattage obtained at the input to the TC power
transformer and the maximum spark length obtained from the coil is not of
much value. This is because there is no way to find the wattage that
produced the maximum spark length. It is interesting to note that this type
of rating for Tesla coils has been used for years. The assumption was that
the wattage was the same for all sparks. This is obviously not correct
because if it was all sparks would be the same length for a certain coil.

  John Couture