[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Even More Mini Coils

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Monday, June 23, 1997 11:52 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Even More Mini Coils

Hi all,
            I decided to push the system (primary caps) a bit.
Firstly, I stuck a 3" sphere on each resonator to get the tuning
roughly equal and reduce the random corona and air streamers. The
spheres were attaching single-channel with a few peripheral streamers
at 5.5" on a regular basis. Then I removed the ground connection
altogether and just let them work one against the other. What? It
improved! Then I separated the spheres to a distance of 6" p -> p.
Whoops! Now spark breakout was intermittent but always in the desired
direction. I then opened the gap up until it was firing at 7kV (caps
are rated at 6000 PWV). I then turned the supply up to full power.
Now I am getting attachments consistently at 6" p -> p at a lower
break rate dictated by supply delivery capability.
     I can possibly do better even at a lower break rate but higher
primary voltage still. Going to have to series-parallel a cap bank
because robust as they are, I want these micas to last. They are
great!!

The setup:         7.8nF (2x 3n9 caps in parallel)
                       /
        o------+---| |------      o   o     spheres       o   o
               |   | |      |      ooo                     ooo
    DC Input   |            |       |                       |
    from       o            O       O                       O
    Flyback    o  Gap   Lp  O   Ls1 O                   Ls2 O
    Supply     |            O       O                       O
               |            |       O                       O

    Robert, I think I just joined you in coiling heaven :)

Malcolm