[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark gap performance.

From: 	Richard[SMTP:esmit-at-ilink.nis.za]
Sent: 	Sunday, June 22, 1997 11:33 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Spark gap performance.

Hi,

A few weeks ago I was changing my sparkgap. The first time I had ran my coil
I only used a spark gap with only two electrodes. My Tesla coil was only
giving about an 2 inches of spark lenth but only when an object came near
it. I changed it (as I described to some of the people) to a sparkgap with
about 15 electrodes in it so that the spacing is a lot smaller between the
nails. My Tesla coil's performance went to about 8 inches sparks and it were
like a flame, the sparks running in a linear direction(see fig.1). Can
anyone tell me why it makes your Tesla coil perform better.

Someone wrote about the Banjo effect, what in the world is that?

FIG.1
      /
      |------> spark
      \

       /
     -----
    |     | ------> secondary coil
    |     |
    |     |

GREAT NEWS: Today I found a sort of swimming pool pipe from my fathers
garage and now I'm going to tie the points together and cover it in foil, so
at last I can make a Torroid.

See yah!
|Richard Smit  | Telephone: +27-525-32634                  		 |
|P.O.Box 566   | Email:     esmit-at-ilink.nis.za                           |
|Bultfontein   | Age:       17 years old                                 |
|9670          | Hobbies:   Tesla Coils; Computors; Paranormal; UFO's    |
|South Africa  | Birthday:  5 October 1979                               |