[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Idea

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, June 18, 1997 7:29 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Spark Gap Idea

Wednesday, June 18, 1997 9:19 AM Jim
<jwbuck-at-loclnet-dot-com> wrote;

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I just built a new spark gap & thought maybe someone else may benefit
> from the design.  I took a large variable cap, the kind with plates on
> the body and on the shaft with air dielectric.  I removed all but one
> plate on the body and one plate on the shaft.  THen I bent the plate
> that was left on the shaft so that I could get a parallel connection.
> Also I sloped the plate so that I could adjust the gap by turning the
> shaft.  It was quick to build and so far seems to work great.

Ingenious idea there Jim! I would be a bit concerned at to the maxium
voltage you gap can handle though. As I remeber the old variable
capacitors they worn't built for high voltage, so keep an idea on the
insulation! What voltage transforer are you using with that gap?

> Instead of putting a knob on the shaft to rotate the gap I cut a notch
> at the end of the shaft so I can use a long screwdriver to adjust the
> gap while the coil is running which may be a stupid idea but I haven't
> gotten zapped yet.

Jim, if your feeding that gap at 60 Hz and there is more than 0.1 amp
available, you are playing Russian roulet (sp.?)! Do yourself a favor
and use an insulated (fiberglass shaft) screwdriver! As far as I know
there is only one official death associated with a Tesla coil, lets
keep it that way!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/