[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

60 vs. 30 ma

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, June 20, 1997 4:04 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: 60 vs. 30 ma

At 02:14 PM 6/18/97 +0000, you wrote:
>From: 	Gary Lau  18-Jun-1997 0810[SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
>Sent: 	Wednesday, June 18, 1997 8:10 AM
>To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Cc: 	lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com
>Subject: 	Re: 60 vs. 30 ma

  Gary -

  What you have brought up regarding the pri capacitor charging vs the power
transformer wattage is important. Most coilers have never considered this
problem before.

  From the "charge time" equation you show it is obvious that the time is
dependent on the voltage. However, with a neon transformer the voltage
varies with the load. In fact the voltage is almost zero when the cap is
first connected to the neon. It is obvious that the problem is not simple
because the voltage is varying as the natural log plus the load on the neon.
With a pole transformer this may be less of a problem if voltage regulation
of the transformer and circuit is good.

  Assuming you start with a correct size cap, the "C" in the equation will
not vary but the R may vary. This would be because the impedance of the neon
would vary with the varying current. As you can see modeling this
transformer would be difficult. I do not think the cap would deliver twice
the power as the smaller transformer because of the non linear operating
conditions. The breaks per second would also have to be increased.

  The optimum rate to dump energy pulses (BKS/SEC) into the tank circuit is
well established by the equation

              BKS = 2 Wp EFF/(Cp Vp^2)

  This is actually an energy equation and indicates the necessary wattage
(secs) to properly charge the cap of a certain size for a certain (optimum?)
number of breaks. The quenching time (spark duration?) and tank ring-down
(Q?) would be additional considerations.

  The solution of the above looks difficult but it should be possible using
a simple computer iterative program. All the variables are either known or
can be estimated and the equations are easy to implement. Note that this is
a method of digging deeper into the operation of Tesla coils without the
cost in money and time of building, testing, and rebuilding coils. This is
the perfect approach for coilers who do not have the money to build
expensive coils but have the skills to do the programs. Of course, building
and testing small coils should not be ignored.

  John Couture