[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quenching

Subject:  Re: Quenching
  Date:   Tue, 17 Jun 1997 02:30:29 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Sat, 14 Jun 1997 15:15:12 +0200 (SAT) Richard
<esmit-at-ilink.nis.za> wrote;

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I can make my Tesla coils
> spark gap quench very fast without using a rotary spark gap.

Hi Richard, there are basicaly two ways to improve the quenching in
static gaps, first you could use a fan to blow air through the gap
to remove the hot air and metal ions. Second you can use a VERY
strong magnetic field across the gap see ASCII below. And of course
you can combine the two methods.

                                | N |
                  ___________   |___|    _____________
                  ___________|   ___    |_____________
                                |   |
                                | S |

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/