[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary coil (aluminum ?)

Subject:  Re: Primary coil (aluminum ?)
  Date:   Sun, 15 Jun 1997 07:33:33 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 11:32:09 -0500 (CDT) Lynn Anderson
<aasphalt-at-win.bright-dot-net> wrote;

> I have flat spiral wound coil in a broken dehumidfier. The coil is 11"
> o.d and is made of an aluminum tube that is flattened so that is 1/4" wide
> by 1/2"deep.There are 11 turns in the coil. I plan to use a neon
> transformer. Will this coil be appropriate to use? Thanks.

As a general statement the aluminum spiral you described should be
fine as a Tesla coil primary! Some considerations are in order
though; First realize that the space between the secondary and inner
turn on the primary should be between 1 and 1 1/2 inches so either
make your secondary wide enough to fulfill this condition or rebend
the spiral to accomidate this spacing. If the corners that were
created buy flattening the tubing are too sharp they will be the
source for coronial leakage and targets for secondary to primary
breakdown and will be the make it or break it point on the useability
of this spiral. Whenever you move a tap on aluminum you MUST abrade
the surface to remove the aluminum oxide, it is an incredable
insulator to both electricity and heat, it is the dialectric in
electrolytic capacitors and NASA uses it to make the cone nozels on
their rocket engines! Hmmmm, I wonder what the dialectric constant of
aluminum oxide is?

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/