[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Coil Power Supply...

Subject:  Re: Primary Coil Power Supply...
  Date:   Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:32:47 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:20 +0200 NEIL HURSEY
<ETL.ETLNLHY-at-MESMTPSE.ericsson.se> wrote;

> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to build my first Tesla Coil in the UK and am having
> trouble trying to find a suitable transformer to drive the primary
> coil.
>
> The best I've found so far is microwave oven transformers with a
> 2KV output.
>
> Does anyone know if these transformers could we wired in series,
> say 5 transformers to produce 10kv output?

A number of people have been experienting with the use of Microwave
transformers to power Tesla coils. You can put them in series
(actualy you put the primaries in parallel and the secondaries in
series) you must disconnect the side of the secondary that is
grounded to the core. and add some insulation to the lead and it is
wise to imerse all the transformers in oil to increase their voltage
tollerance. To current limit them you can use a series choke either
fixed or tapped or one with a sliding iron core to vary the
inductance.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/