[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla turns ratio ?

Subject:  Re: Tesla turns ratio ?
  Date:   Sat, 14 Jun 1997 17:05:01 -0600
  From:  "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

To: Owen Lawrence

As you pointed out the energy in the primary is transferred to the sec.
coil minus the normal losses.  Also as you noted, according to classical
physics texts this would imply a rather small terminal capacitance.  In
the
real world it seems the larger the terminal capacitance the better for
maximum voltage output.  This assumes of course that you have a very
large
amount of primary capacitance and a suitable means to quickly recharge
this
cap.

With regards to your question on max energy and efficiency you might
wish
to look up the two following articles and study them in detail.

        A Radio-Frequency High Voltage Generator
        D.H. Sloan    Physical Review  vol 47  Jan. 1, 1935  pp.62-70

Sloans proclaims efficiencies of only 50% or less with the classic
coupled
tuned circuit coil system and then he goes on to discuss (and develops)
the
tightly tuned circuit in a wave guide like tank system.  His ultra hi-Q
vacuum tube oscillator runs at 150 kw and develops over 1,000,000 volts
with only a 15 kv input into a single magnifier-type helical coil with
only
18 total turns!  This resonance transformer system is tightly coupled
and
runs very high efficiencies of around 90-95%.

Another great article was published by Dr. James and Dr. Kenneth Corum
entitled:

        A Technical Analysis of the Extra Coil as a Slow Wave Helical
Resonator
        available thru the International Tesla Society Proceedings in
Col. Springs

Both Jim and Ken studied Sloan's work in detail and offer an in depth
technical analysis.

More good information is givin in  Electrical Condensers
                                Philip Coursey   Pitman & Sons  London
1927

Hope this information is of assistance.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net