[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: neons&high power

Subject:  Re: neons&high power
  Date:   Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:29:43 -0500
  From:   Tesla List <tesla-at-stic-dot-net>
    To:   tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

  Date:   Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:08:39 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<< All,
 I just picked up a carload full of neons, mostly mismatched. For
similar
 voltages there were four 7500V, 60mA neon xformers. That works out to
be
 about 1.8kW. My coil right now is a small coil, and is using a three
 terminal static gap. I was wondering if a static gap will work for the
 high power levels - I know I will atleast have to use a fan. I was
 considering building a rotary gap but I have seen warnings that rotary
 gaps aren't good for neon's.
     I have some higher voltage neons, but only two that are the same.
 Would the lower voltage 60mA be better than two 12500V 30's, or should
 just go with the higher voltage.

 TS

TS,

Basically, the answer is More Power!  For best performance, you want the
highest voltage your primary cap can stand - and of course lots of
current.
 Two 12.5kv 30 ma transformers in parallel should perform better than
one 9kv
60ma transformer.  The Richard Quick cylindrical gap will quench well up
120 ma when using current limited transformers.  I ran my 6" coil with
12kv
120ma neon transformer power and had good results.

Ed Sonderman