[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My First Tesla Works!

Subject:      Re: My First Tesla Works!
      Date:   Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:47:16 +1000
      From:   Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:      My First Tesla Works!
>        Date:  Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:53:03 -0400
>        From:  Tom Heiber <theiber-at-lonet.ca>
>          To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> This IS a Re-Post as it seems it was not recieved by the Tesla List
> Server! with some minor changes :)
>
> Hey There Guys (and gals) my FIRST Tesla Coil Works.
> After painstakingly long hours of building it It Works!
>
> WOW!
>
> Well Here are the specs!
>
> Power Supply: 12KV 60mA Neon Xfmr.
> Spark Gap   : 4 bolts in series, cooled by a cooling fan
> Cap         : Home-Made Salt-Water Caps -at-13.1nF
> Primary     : 9 Turns 1/4" copper tubing, tapped at 9 (needs more turns)
>
> Seconday    : 4"x13.5" 22Gauge, blue PVC pipe
> Toroid      :  4"x30" aluminum duct pipe
>
> Well. After I have cooled down a bit. Here's my problem.
>
> About 1/3 way from the bottom of the winding (secondary) I had a breakou
> of corona and it fused about 4-5 turns together. Now, I have no idea why
> this has happened or how to fix it.
> Also, all I get from this TC is about 13"-15" sparks. Is this the
> maximum I can get from my Tesla?

        I am running a 3.5" by 20" secondary from 15Kv 60Ma and I get
        30" sparks max. If you end up re-winding your secondary, I
        would make it longer - at least 20" to get more inductance.

> I have noticed that while operating the coil inside the garage. The
> garage door went wild. I had to unplug it cuz It was getting too weird.

        My flouros all light up by themselves, sounds normal to me.
        Maybe your earth could be better.

> BTW. Is the spark gap supposed to be THAT loud? I thought the output
> from the Sec. was more powerfull and would make more noise.

        On mine, their both bloody loud!

> Does anyone have any suggestions about my coil for improvement? (except
> the cap)

        Try a better cap (sorry!)

Cheers, Peter E.