[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Latest magnifier results - wire shape

Subject:  RE: Latest magnifier results - wire shape
  Date:   Thu, 12 Jun 1997 20:24:53 +0000
  From:   "Bert Pool" <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Date:          Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:27:46 -0500
> To:            tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       RE: Latest magnifier results - wire shape
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Subject:   RE: Latest magnifier results - wire shape
>   Date:    Wed, 11 Jun 97 05:30:40 UT
>   From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
>     To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> a thought: if you are trying to get max turns per inch, there is a
> technique
> used for winding power transformers using rectangular wire - perhaps
> this same
> approach could be used for a tesla coil - it would take a special
> fixture to
> feed the wire edgewise onto the coil form and it would take careful
> anealing
> of the copper first, but it ought to work

William,

Last September, Wild Bill and I experimented with an oil filled
magnifier driver, and we did use a secondary coil which is wound with
6 gauge rectangular wire.  The wire is on edge, which gives a maximum
TPI.  It was a commercial coil taken from a large transformer that we
had scrapped.  The coil worked very well, but we never were able to
contain the high voltage, even in an oil bath.  We eventually gave up
on this idea and went to a conventional driver, ala Hull.  You very
likely could wind a coil using rectangular coil, but it would have to
be very soft wire, you'd have to use a special wire guide/jig, and
you'd have the best luck with a coil form with a big radius of
curvature.

Bert Pool
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net