[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire & insulation

Subject: Re: Secondary wire & insulation
  Date:  Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:50:25 +1000 (EST)
  From:  Rodney Graham Davies <Rodney.Davies-at-anu.edu.au>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi Ed,

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:   Re: Secondary wire & insulation
>   Date:    Mon, 9 Jun 1997 19:53:43 -0700 (PDT)
>   From:    "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
>     To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> Rod:
>         Your bath sounds great.  BUT, do you mean polyurethane
> varnish, not "polyethylene".  What do you do with the lathe

Ooops, yeh sorry, polyurethane...

> when the wire snags or has a splice in it?  (I've had kinks
> come out of the middle of large spools of wire, and also found
> a place where someone had just tied the ends together.  Latter
> was from a spool of Phelps Dodge heavy formvar, #28.)

Yup, I rig up this little neat wire-unbenderer thingy which is two small
blocks of wood clamped together with a G-clamp and I cut a small rounded
groove along one block. This is groove is the wire feed path... (see
below).
It takes out all the kinks and bends in the wire nicely so that it goes
on perfectly straight and tense. This block configuration is mounted
onto
the lathe saddle.

Diagram -
                   _______________
                  |  __________   |
                  | |          |  |
                  | |          |  |
                 =====         |  |
      +------------------+     |  |
      |  Block 1         |     |  | <-- clamp
      +--------o---------+     |  |
      |  Block 2         |     |  |
      +------------------+     |  |   (side view)
                 =====         |  |
                  | |          |  |  * The whole in the centre is the
                  |  ----------   |    groove...
                  |_______________|

      +--------||--------+
      |        ||        |
      |        ||        |
      |        ||        |
      |        ||        |    Top view of Block 2. Note the centre
groove
      |        ||        |    is the same diameter as the wire you're
      |        ||        |    using...

It works quite nicely...

Hope someone could use this too...

Catchya!