[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Doorknob Caps

Subject:  Re: Doorknob Caps
  Date:   Wed, 11 Jun 1997 19:31:41 -0700 (PDT)
  From:   "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

"I would think the resistive losses in a capacitor is going to be
insignificant, the reactance losses are another story, remember
were dealing with A.C."
        Plenty high enough to heat the capacitors.  I am using
3000 uufd, 30 kV doorknobs here and can only run them for a
minute or so at a time, because of the self heating.  The series
resistance is very low, but the loss due to the ceramic dielectric
is large."
"Your also forgetting that inductors also have
hysteresis losses."
        Not air core inductors such as we use for primaries.  The
losses in the windings are insignificant compared to the loss in
the primary gap and the secondary discharge, at least in my opinion.
Ed