[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- Secondary wire & insu (Hull Mag )

Subject:      Re: RE- Secondary wire & insu (Hull Mag )
       Date:  Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:29:24 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Richard, all,

> Nice little coil!!  I am taking a giant leap backward to the "small"
> with the current magnifier system #12.  Like all systems before it,
> it is a totally experimental effort.  I am using an H2 Thyratron as
> the switch and at 100watts DC input (average) , can get about 6" of
> spark with 3.6KV input voltage.  The peak tank currents are 220amps!
> (~.8 megawatts peak pulsed power) This, far exceeds the 4C35's 100 amp
> peak plate rating.  The pulses are exactly and precisely uniform at
> 1.1KPPS and 1.3us total duration. The tube takes it on the chin quite
> well!  When on, it lights every fluorescent lamp within 8 feet!
> I haven't even begun to explore this system yet.

The 2.5" coil is also a pure experiment (not too much theory went
into it). Basically, it went like: had tubing, wound as much of the
aerial rod type litz as I had onto it and ....   Well, there was
always a reasonable chance it would be a goody. Right h/d ratio and
due to the covering on the wire, somewhat spaced, not that that's
necessary for litz. Just the way it went.

Why do I love just winding coils I wonder??
Malcolm