[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Doorknob Caps

Subject:  Re: Doorknob Caps
  Date:   Tue, 10 Jun 1997 05:41:49 +0000
  From:   "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

-------------------------------  snip

>When I first started building Tesla coils door knob capacitors were
>all over the place and cheap! But they never seemed to perform well
>in a tesla coil they would also get rather hot implying there were
>large power factor losses. Best thing I can say considering how cheap
>you got them is try it and see for your self.

------

 Alfred -

 Power factor losses? Do you mean high power factor means high losses?

 How do you determine losses using the power factor?

 The last I heard losses were resistive in capacitors or inductors.

 I have used these doorknob capacitors for several years and you are
right
they are good only for small coils.

 John Couture