[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire & insulation

Subject:      Re: Secondary wire & insulation
       Date:  Tue, 10 Jun 1997 17:41:41 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Ed, all,
             Interesting observation....

>   From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>     To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<snip>
> I have wound all three of my secondaries on a lathe and had good
> results. The last two, I layered on thick coats of cleary poly and
> left the lathe turning while it dried.  I tried heat lamps and they
> caused air bubbles to come up to the surface and it looked like hell
> - but maybe the air needed to get out anyway??

I have found there is always air trapped between the former and
windings in a closewound coil, no matter how runny the first layer of
varnish you apply is. I reckon that the best advantage to heavy
varnishing of the coil is to save the windings from damage if the
coil gets banged against something. Running the former in varnish as
the winding takes place sounds like a great idea.

Malcolm