[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 60 vs. 30 ma

Subject:  Re: 60 vs. 30 ma
  Date:   Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:43:31 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<<
 Thanks to those who replied.  Maybe I could have asked my question more
 clearly, so I'll try again.

 If I have a well-operating coil using a 12KV/30ma neon transformer, and
 I replace that transformer with a 12KV/60ma transformer:

 1.  To take best advantage of the 60ma, should I change the torroid
size
 and/or change the primary tap location?  (assume the .005uF cap value
 won't change)

 I think I read that by using a larger torroid, a smaller cap could be
 used.  Therefore, if I use a 60ma transformer (which would normally
call
 for about a .01 cap), I could get away with using the original .005 cap
 by using a larger torroid.  Is that correct?

 2. After changing the torroid size and/or primary tap, what increase in
 spark length should I expect as a result of moving up to 60ma?

 3.  If I changed only the primary tap location (if that would help) and
 did NOT change the torroid size, what increase in spark length should I
 expect as a result of moving up to 60ma?

 Thanks again,

 Tedd

Tedd,

If your system is currently operating and in tune, changing from a 30 ma
transformer to a 60 ma transformer will require no changes to your
system.
 Based on my experience, you should see about a 50% increase in
performance.
 Say from 12" discharges to 18" or 20".  It probably won't double the
performance.

If you add a larger toroid, you will lower the secondary frequency and
will
also need to lower the primary frequency to keep the system in tune.
This
will require either tapping the primary out farther or adding more
primary
turns if needed, or by increasing the size of the capacitor.

Ed Sonderman