[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: final prep of coil

Subject:  Re: final prep of coil
  Date:  Sun, 8 Jun 1997 10:34:49 -0600
  From:  "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

To: Chuck Curran

We ran some of your data thru our computer program.  Looks like an
excellent coil design but you need a lot more upper terminal capacitance
for optimum output with this monster.  Suggest at least 3 terminals of
the
size you are using -- triple the capacitance on top.  At least double as
minumum.

Happy sparking.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> [...]
> >     To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >
> > That last couple weeks I have made much progess on my latest coil.  I
> > have
> > done rough tuning but need to finish my grounding system and disconnect
> > few ham radio antennas.  My yard is really limited in size here in
town,
> > so
> > only low power settings will be used until I transport it up to my
> > "cabin up
> > north".  Part of the fun in this project was building a good power
> > control
> > cabinet.  I loaded a full height 19" rack cabinet with a TEK scope,
> > control
> > relays and time delay relays, electronic sampling of voltage and
current
> > nodes, SCR DC motor control for the RSG, variac panel with cooling fan,
> > etc.
> > In the tuning tests I found out the I get resonance just at the end of
> > my
> > primary coil.  I may need to add another turn or two of tubing if I
> > change
> > to a larger toroid. Here are my coil specs, and if anyone has
questions,
> > feel free to ask.
> >
> > primary coil: 6 3/4 turns  of 1/2" copper tubing, spaced 1.375", with
22
> > " ID.
> >
> > Primary cap: (two) 0.2 uf/20 kvdc caps in series for 0.1 uf/40 kvdc (I
> > may
> > need to upgrade voltage rating here)
> >
> > RSG: 3600 RPM DC motor, 3/4 Hp, belt drive to spindle mounted 12" disk
> > with
> > 12 studs on 10" circle.  Studs are 5/6" brass, fixed electrodes are
3/8"
> > stainless.  DC motor SCR speed controller is 0 - 90 vdc with reversing
> > relays and start/stop input.  Speed is controlled by a pot for any
speed
> > between 0 and 3600 RPM.
> >
> > Secondary coil: 20" OD by 40" tall, wound on wooden form.  Three
plywood
> > disks support 1/2" X 1" slats open spaced around perimeter.  Slats are
> > glued
> > and doweled to  disks.  About a third of the wire is supported by
slats,
> > the
> > rest of the perimeter is air spaced.  17 turns per inch, or about 675
> > turns.
> > Final tune with toroid is 66 Khz.
> >
> > Toroid: 6" by 30" aluminum ducting covered in aluminum tape.  Center is
> > tape
> > covered plywood.  Ends of duct were first hot melt glued together
before
> > taping.
> >
> > Transformer:  10 Kva pole pig, 2 insulating electrodes on secondary.
> > 14.4
> > Kv/25.3 Kv depending on internal HV connections.  I made a safety gap
> > assembly that mounts to the output studs that allow easy setup for
Jacob