[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Beginner Tesla Coil Questions

Subject:     Re: Beginner Tesla Coil Questions
      Date:  Sun, 08 Jun 1997 21:44:27 +1000
      From:  Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Beginner Tesla Coil Questions
>   Date:   Fri, 06 Jun 1997 18:17:10 -0400
>   From:   Pete Demoreuille <pbd-at-cybernex-dot-net>
>     To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> Yes, sigh now and laugh at me!  -- Thanks alot for any help!
>
> Pete Demoreuille

Nobody's laughing, we all have to start somewhere. I reckon the hardest
part of the project is to find a good Xformer. Go down to your local
(friendly?) Neon sign Xformer guy and see if you can smarm him out of
some old 15Kv 30Ma xformers. If you can get one that puts out a good
spark and measures about equal resistance from either output terminal to
case, your laughing.

Once you have this, use one of the excelent TC design programs available
on this list to work out the other parameters. If you have the patience,
build a rolled poly cap but otherwise use the good old salt water, beer
bottle jobs. Also download all of Richard Quick's stuff on how to wind
primary, secondary, coils etc.

If you can only find 3.5" tubing for your secondary, dont skimp on the
windings, I used about 20" long closewound 22 guage. Wind a 12 turn,
copper tubing inverted cone primary and use an adjustable static gap to
start with. The primary/secondary spacing is not too critical in my
opinion, but 1" to 2" worked well for me.

Cheers from the land of upside down arcs,

Peter E.