[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How do you get the guts (or stupidity) to draw a spark ?

Subject:  Re: How do you get the guts (or stupidity) to draw a spark ?
  Date:   Mon, 9 Jun 1997 03:39:45 +1000 (EST)
  From:   Rodney Graham Davies <Rodney.Davies-at-anu.edu.au>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi Shawn,

On Sat, 7 Jun 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  How do you get the guts (or stupidity) to draw a spark ?
>   Date:   Sat, 07 Jun 1997 09:35:33 -0500
>   From:   Shawn Collins <rubidium-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>     To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> I have seen many pictures on various pages of people drawing sparks to
> metal
> objects they are holding on to. At what frequency of operation is this
> safe,
> and how  did you ever get up the guts to try it ? I know the primary
> side
> can kill, but according to skin effect formula (which I can't find right
> now) at 170kHz the current is only .06" deep.

To be safe, I'd suggest frequencies atleast 250KHz and above.
Anything below that and you're likely to _really_ feel the RF.

Anyone else tried it at < 250KHz?

However, I once tried an experiement holding onto a neon tube where the
coil arced to one of the wired ends, but I was only in contact with the
glass tube, not the metal bits...but I did feel the energy passing over
my hands....I think the frequency, from memory, was around 280Khz.

Well, my 2.5cents worth! ;-)

Catchya!

Rod