[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- Secondary wire & insu

Subject:      Re: RE- Secondary wire & insu
       Date:  Mon, 9 Jun 1997 09:42:03 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Re close-wound vs space-wound,
                               There is actually not a huge
difference between them. You can view a space wound coil as being a
close wound coil wound with thinner wire. Spacewound has it all over
closewound when it comes to well-bolstered turn-turn insulation, but
as some recent experiments of mine show, voltage breakdown is
probably the least of your worries in getting a good coil going.
Consider: If the voltage is approaching that which will tax the wire
insulation, the coil would be shooting sparks straight from top to
bottom. IMO it is only because coils are typically run at voltages
somewhat less than this limit that the streamers can reach out and
grow to many times the "voltage length".
    This last weekend I tried the now-bolstered 2.5" high litz coil
on the minisystem I am playing with and the single shot length (low
rep rate) exceeded the winding height - just. There was a faint
corona visible on the outside of the coil varnish. Increasing coupling
beyond that point made it shoot straight up and down with no hope of
streamer growth.

FWIW,
Malcolm