[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- Secondary wire &

Subject:  Re: RE- Secondary wire &
  Date:   Sat, 7 Jun 1997 18:17:53 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Fri, 06 Jun 1997 20:28:00 GMT Robert Michaels
<robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org> wrote;

>         An (another!) fairly decent rebuttal post from Mr.
>         Skrocki (God, I hate those kind!).   Many of the
>         points he makes are well taken (must he keep doing
>         that?!), but I'd like to offer up a precious-few
>         (I promise) counter-comments:

Sorry if I irritate you a bit with my observations, but I'm just
being me! <Grin> Besides you wouldn't want it to get too easy around
here now would ya? >YES! oh ok I'll try an shut up then.

> T>Before I got my lathe I wound all my coils by hand and I never found
> T>any difficulty in using a closed loop with a weight as a spacer, but
> T>then I learned how to cut threads bare handed with a file so I guess
> T>it's a matter of ones background.
>
>         I've never heard of using thread before your earlier post.
>         Interesting.  What does it mean to "...cut threads bare
>         handed with a file..."  ???  (also, ??!!?!!??, on second
>         thought).

Ah, when I was around 9 I had a mentor that liked teaching me odd
things and one of the things he tought me was how to hand file a
machine thread on a length of drill rod (moderately soft easily
hardened steel rod) using an entering file (one of a set of
files called riflers)! The mentor was kind of like a Mr. Meyage,
san "Karate Kid", only he was slovic like myself, and was teaching me
to use my mind better, instead of teaching karate. But this is all
off topic to this list! If you want to continue in private, it's fine
with me.

>                 BTW - It's possible to purchase bi-filar magnet
>                 wire (and tri-filar for that matter):  2 (or 3)
>                 parallel strands the entire length of the spool,
>                 lightly stuck together (like the two conductors
>                 of electrical lamp cord).  I wonder -- might it
>                 be possible to wind a coil with bi-filar wire
>                 and then unwind one of the, er, ah, um, "filars"
>                 to obtain a space-wound coil?  Of course, it's
>                 enamel-insulated magnet wire.

Sounds like an expensive way of doing it! I mean here you go and
spend extra for two wires to be stuck together and then you go and un
stuck them!

>         Point made and taken -- in the modern idiom of coils without
>         much coiling in them.
>
>         My principal point is:--  To consider turns-per-volts.
>                                   To remember that adjacent turns
>                                     are insulated by  =two=  layers
>                                     of enamel (or cotton) (or gutta-
>                                     percha).
>
>         I used 1000-turns only because it's a nice round number.
>         There are days when I hate the idea of having to divide
>         500 by 300  (The results of my calculations are apt to be odd-
>         enough as it is) (!).

I understand! One of my professors, taught both pre-Calc and Calc 1
always preached: "Plug in easy numbers" and I agree!

>         BTW -- There are wire enamels spec'd to 600-volts/mil
>                (meaning it would tolerate 1200-volts/mil per
>                turn).  Not a standard item you may be sure, but
>                not so rare a one either.
Yea, but it ain't cheap!

>         Also -- for the hi-buck boys -- or those lucky at love
>         or more particularly at scrap dealers -- Teflon-insulated
>         wire for aerospace use may be had.  The Teflon can be
>         as thin as wire enamel.  (The wire can be found silver-
>         plated as well  {there's nothing quite like living
>         right} ) !

Now your makeing my mouth water! I thought about makeing a capacitor
using teflon but never reaky thought about using it to wind the coil
with.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/