[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Next Coil

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, July 30, 1997 3:52 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: The Next Coil

Malcolm Watts wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear more about those results and the type of
> cap and method of connection if poss.  Lo-Z to the streamer sounds
> like *it*, esp. as uS timescales are far faster than electrical
> propagation along the resonator. Sounds like 2MV is close to the
> design goal. Sounds like a real brute - yeah!
>  Any reason for picking the particular inductance values you have?
>
> Malcolm

Yes, indeed!  With the new larger Ctop, I became concerned that the
output impedance of the sec would drop too low.  The Lsec was chosen
to get the impedance back up to around 20000 ohms, which seems to
work well.  Then the other component values, all the way back to the
'wall socket', just fall out of the equations assuming a design goal
of about 15 ohms for Zpri.  A bit of handwaving, but that's the best
empirical data that I have at the moment.

Actually, my spreadsheet predicts a Vout just over 1MV,
but that assumes about 50% efficiency.

-GL