[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Next Coil

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 29, 1997 7:44 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: The Next Coil

Hi Greg,
        Good one!

> Top Capacitance - 130pF (96" OD space frame sphere, 28' altitude)
>
> The top C is where this coil design starts.  I have finally bought into
> the 'huge top C' argument, after reading more about the microsecond
> structures present in lightning as the spark front advances.  Even though
> the top C reduces the Vout directly, it appears that a local low-Z
> reservoir of charge must be present at the base of the streamer channel
> in order to solidly support the streamer growth on microsecond timescales.
> Adding a physical 100pF capacitor to my existing coil proved this out.

I'd be interested to hear more about those results and the type of
cap and method of connection if poss.  Lo-Z to the streamer sounds
like *it*, esp. as uS timescales are far faster than electrical
propagation along the resonator. Sounds like 2MV is close to the
design goal. Sounds like a real brute - yeah!
    Any reason for picking the particular inductance values you have?

Malcolm