[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer oil

From: 	Teslaman-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Teslaman-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 22, 1997 5:01 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Transformer oil

Concerning transformer oil

I accidently deleted the persons name who was concerned about trans. oil,
anyway here it goes...  The ASTM is a test method for determining properties
of transformer oil.   Some properties for mineral oil based trans. oil are as
follows,

Flash point 145 deg. C. (It is a flammable substance)
Specific gravity of 0.9
Dielectric breakdown voltage  30kV rms between two 1" disks seperated 0.1"
apart.
Dielectric constant of 2.2

As for hibited vs. inhibited,  go with inhibited if available as it is more
chemicaly stable, but either will do.  Mineral oil will absorb moisture
easily so keep it in a sealed conatiner with as little air as possible in the
container if it will be stored any length of time.

  I have been using Exxon univolt N-61 inhibited ASTM D-3487 type II oil
which was purchased several years ago for a price of $161.00 before tax for a
55 gallon drum.  This oil has been used in 4 different transformers including
several pole pigs as well as poly. capacitors with no problems or excessive
moisture contamination.  The price you mentioned for a 5 gall. pail seems in
the ball park, the larger container you buy, the more the disscount will be.
 It beats buying a case of mineral oil at Wal Mart  and getting strange looks
from the cashier.

Kevin E