[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 foot sparks - need more garage!

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, July 25, 1997 4:35 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: 2 foot sparks - need more garage!

> Yes, I'm using 5 pieces, 3" long, of 2" diameter copper pipe
> set very close as a spark gap. I tried a fan as you suggested
> and it helps. I'm looking for an old hairdryer or a vacume
> cleaner for an air blast.

Alan,

I'm glad this helped.  If you need even "more" air, you can try
building a wooden box with one side open and place the gap assembly
against this open side so that all the air is pushed or pulled through
the gaps.  A fan or preferably a squirril cage blower would be mounted
onto the wooden box after cutting a hole in the box tp line up with
the blower.

> Next I'm going to rebuild to make it more portable and try
> building some capacitors. Probably using tin foil, stuck
> with varnish to 2mm clear polystyrene. This should hold at
> 7500V AC even without oil - I hope!

I've never built this type of cap, but I would think that corona avoidance
is the key.  If you see no corona flaring at the edge of the plates when
you run the coil, then it should be ok. Corona causes a lot of loss and
destruction.

> But I think its quite big enough! I don't really have the
> room at home for a bigger coil.

Yeah,  I need more room too!!!  You're right...only thing to do is
do experiments that can be done at low power.

> Then I think I'll go back to solid state coils - more manageable.
> Later I'll try a valve coil - then I'll really need your help, John.

Plenty of things to try using both these coil types.

Have fun and be safe,

John Freau