[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: transformers

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 22, 1997 5:02 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: transformers

<< know what you guys thought about them (are they any good?).

 -----

 -----

 -----
> franceformer (it's an 'f' not a 't')
> gaseous tube transformer
> cat no 9030 FA1S2
> ser 1172
>
> Primary
> 120 V
> 60 Cycles
> 288 VA

> Secondary
> 9000 V
> 30 MA

> Midpoint of secondary grounded
 -----

> The Primary of the first one is 115V.  Isn't line voltage 120V?  Would
> it cause a problem to plug it in?  Before I go and do something stupid,
> I want to know what would be bad to do because I don't think I'll get
>another chance to find another transformer, let alone two.

Kevin,

Both trannies are standard neon sign transformers, yes they're good for
building a Tesla coil or Jacob's ladder.  115V or 120V...doesn't make any
difference...it's within a few percent.  In fact, I use a step up variac and
put 135 volts in to my 115V variacs for extra power...yes it does stress
them a little.  always use safety gaps to protect the neons from bad
kickback.

For the 288 V neon trans, you can put 240 volts into it and lose a little
performance, or use can use a step up variac to step the voltage up to
about 280 volts.

A Tesla coil using a 12,000V, 30 ma tranny can give a 42" spark, but
most don't.  It depends on the TC design.

John Freau