[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Hints on building a .08uf cap?

From: 	Micheal Huff[SMTP:msnock-at-theonramp-dot-net]
Reply To: 	msnock-at-theonramp-dot-net
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 15, 1997 11:17 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Hints on building a .08uf cap?

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Steve,
	What kind of voltage output do those things have?  I assume it can't be
too much  because of your needed capacitor size.  If I remember
correctly the PS in my laser printer is only about 1200V.

> My question is, should I build lots more rolled caps in 6" PVC pipe
> (like 10 more???) or should I build fewer, higher capacitance units?  I
> don't know how much capacitance I can get into a piece of 6" pipe.  I
> used .093" LDPE in the first cap, with plates about 42" x 14".  I might
> be able to get 90" x 14" plates into the pipe, but this still will not
> get me more than .0125 uf or so per unit.

You may be able to build just one rolled cap if your voltage is low.
This will allow you to use a much thinner dielectric than 93 mils,
because the thinner the dielectric is the more capacitance you will
achieve.  You can also use aluminum foil rather than flashing to reduce
it's thickness even more.

> Am I better off building flat plate caps?  Would I use heavy aluminum
> foil rather than the flashing I used in the rolled cap, to make
> terminating all the sheets easier?  And lastly, how many caps should I
> build?  Just one huge one, or perhaps four smaller ones?

If you want a compact capacitor go with a rolled plate cap.  Also, what
are the specs on that transformer?  I have seen things like you
mentioned at the dump in several old copiers but since I wasn't into TCs
back then I could have cared less.

Mike
--

       | SNOCK'S HIGH VOLTAGE PAGE                                   |
       | http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/5322/hv2.html    |