[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Simpleminded Rotary Questions

Hi all,

Having recently upped my coil power, I would now like to build a rotary.  I
am thinking of using a lexan disk with sections of threaded rod for the
traveling electrodes (ends probably filed and rounded).  It would also most
likely be a series quench style since I really like this concept.
Stationary electrodes would be tungsten TIG points.  Here are some
incredibly basic questions from someone who has never done any
metalworking, or built much involving motors:

1. Would phenolic or G-10 type material be better than Lexan, and if so,
where do you get it and how would you go about cutting a perfect circle.
Are there suppliers that do this?  I am pretty sure that the industrial
plastics place I normally get my plexiglass from can make me a nice Lexan
disk.

2. How do you mount the disk on your motor?  I looked at my little cirular
to see how it was done, but it has a threaded shaft on the motor.  Ok, so I
guess I need some sort of clamp on arbor with a mounting diameter that
matches whichever motor I choose (obviously).  Where do you get them, and
what should I ask for in particular?  Any nomenclature that I'd need to
describe this would be very helpful!

3. I would like to mount the whole thing on a very heavy base for
stability.  I was thinking of getting a big piece of aluminum from the
scrap yard for this, and would use HV standoffs to keep everything clear.
So here's a really basic question: how do you go about making threaded
holes in something like this (tapping)?  What's the tool called??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Charles Brush

p.s. I haven't commented on any of the AVIs posted yet, because I haven't
been able to view them.  For some reason my AVI->QT utility  crashes my Mac
everytime I try it.  I will get this working eventually and am looking
forward to seeing Bert's and everyone else's movies!