[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Have a couple of flyback transformers

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Have a couple of flyback transformers
> Date: Sunday, January 19, 1997 1:25 PM
>
> Subscriber: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com Sun Jan 19 10:31:29 1997
> Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 08:34:52 -0500 (EST)
> From: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Have a couple of flyback transformers

> <<
>  Thanks (I think I am getting rookie of the year on this one ;D)
>
>  Nathan Lamphere >>
> If you are going to make a Tesla type device out of a flyback there are
only
> two wires that you will need and they are on the secondary. The capped
one
> will be a HV discharge and the ground or the other end of the secondary
coil
> will be under the bottom further to the outside than the rest but not
much..
> You will need a large dia. secondary to get a good output, about 3 inch
and
> most all of the other is junked. Taking the flyback apart is teidious
without
> damage to the core but can be done, then you re wind your own pri and
hook it
> to a 555 oscillator and some pots to tune freq and vary voltage. I can
give
> you a step by step if you like, it would probably be better private
E-Mail
> since not directly Tesla related.   SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com

Nathan,
What I normally do is look for the Flyback Transformers that have part of
the core exposed. I then wrap my OWN wire (Usually #21 insulated) around
the exposed core section and then I have total control over the number of
turns, whether it is single or bifilar, whether is want a center tap or an
extra tickler winding. You DO have to locate which of the original wires
connects to the Bottom of the Secondary. This will connect to your Systems
Ground.

If all else fails, try something else.
Fr. Tom McGahee