[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: torque conv./ inner tubes

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: torque conv./ inner tubes
> Date: Monday, January 13, 1997 11:25 PM
>
> > Subject: Re: torque conv./ inner tubes
>
> Subscriber: wesb-at-spectra-dot-net Mon Jan 13 22:07:31 1997
> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 14:42:13 -0500 (EST)
> From: Wes A Brzozowski <wesb-at-spectra-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: torque conv./ inner tubes
>

> On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Tesla List wrote:
>
> > Subscriber: music-at-triumf.ca Sat Jan 11 20:44:07 1997
> > Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 17:48:14 PST
> > From: "Fred W. Bach, TRIUMF Operations" <music-at-triumf.ca>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Cc: music-at-triumf.ca
> > Subject: Re: torque conv./ inner tubes
> >
> >    As do I.  Plating is a very good idea.  Starting out small is an
> >    excellent idea.  One thing that we should remember is that plating
> >    any object with pure smooth DC will likely result in uneven
> >    thicknesses depending on the distance from the plating point or
> >    plating surface to the opposite electrode.  Unless you saturate the
> >    solution electrically then the points closest to the other
> >    electrode will plate thicker.
>
> Fred, are you sure about this? Commercial plating has used DC since
> plating's been done, and none of the standard plating texts (at least
> those in my personal library)
> mention anything about using pulses. Getting an even plate is a classic
> problem, but there's no mention I've seen of solving it with pulses. It's
> odd, because it would be such a simple fix, if it were workable. Might
> you have any references to share?

I have heard that commercial plating uses a motor generator sets which have
special windings that apply both polarities while plating. This yields a
very bright plating surface. In fact there is a process called
electro-polishing that plates and de-plates at nearly the same rate which
produces a truely beautiful finish.

> >    So, either very good dimensions of the plating tank are needed
> >    (i.e., to plate a toroid the plating tank should be exactly
> >    toroidal as well, with the graphite-coated inner tube suspended

big snip

Getting the current density correct is a major problem. It requires the
anode to closely match the cathode for uniform plating. Plating won't
typically go into holes in a surface.

There is a company (Rapid Plating I think) in Chicago that has hand held
plating kits which work very well. It would, however, take a long time to
plate a useful layer of copper. They use a special ingredient in each of
their solutions.
I think someone would waste a lot of time and money trying the plate an
inner tube.
Just my 2¢
Dave Huffman