[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: transformer

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net Wed Jan  1 08:03:07 1997
> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 19:42:40 -0800
> From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: transformer
>
> Does anyone know where I could buy a transformer about 2000 to 2500 watts.  I
> have 3 neons 15K each in parallel on my TC now and need a little more power.
> 1 or 2 more neons would probably do it. I checked on getting some used neons
> but can not find one anywhere.  New neons are $100. each.  For the price of 2
> new neons I might be able to buy one good high voltage transformer to take
> the place of all the neons.
>
> Gary Weaver

Gary,

Check with some local neon sign shops in the area - ask them what they
do with the out-of-warranty transformers they pull out of service.
Chances are they merely pitch them - ask them to pitch them your way
(for a few $ if necesary). Usually, they'll be glas to do it for free.

Developing a relationship with these guys can be tough sometimes, but
its worth it. Many of the "defectives" they pull are actually good. Many
others are only half-bad, with the other half being perfectly good. Two
half-bad ones = 1 good one in a pinch by simply connecting them
properly.
Or, if you aren't afraid to get too messy, you could try tearing into
the defective ones and repairing them. The freezing/shattering method is
good for removing large pieces of tar. Soaking in turpentine or kerosene
will remove the rest in a few days. Don't try doing the above with some
of the newer types that don't use tar... it won't work!

Never buy new neons - they're GROSSLY overpriced and too fragile!

Safe cappin' and coilin' to you!

-- Bert --