[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HELP ME PLEASE!

>Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 14:24:08 -0600
>From: Kevin <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: HELP ME PLEASE!
>

> Do NOT connect your SW caps
>>directly across the neons and run the gaps in series with the primary!
>      WHY NOT??????????????????
>>                                           __________
>>                                          (__________)    Toroid
>>                                               (          18"
>>                       Gap                     (
>>     -----------------||---------)             (
>>     HV1     |                   )             (
>>             |                   )             (
>>   To        _                   )             (
>>  Neons      _  caps             )  Primary    ( Secondary
>>             |                   )             (
>>             |                   )             (
>>     HV2     |                   )             (
>>     -----------------||---------              (
>>                      Gap                      (
>>                                    ------------
>>                                  -----
>>                                 / / /  Dedicated RF Groundrods

Kevin,
	Because the Rf from your TC primary will EAT the poor neon's
secondary alive! (the neon's secondary is a high impedance to the RF
and the RF will jump OUT of some portion of the neon's secondary:
ruining it!)

If you change the schematic to one with a parallel (to the neon) spark
gap and a series cap(s), when the gap is firing, the LC ringing of the
primary and cap will NOT be across the neon. Why? Because the gap is
conducting; and is effectively a short circuit across the neon's
secondary where you don't want any RF.

	Regards,

	jim

(I had many of the same questions 14 months ago;)