[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MicroWave oven Transformer

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997 22:12:53 -0700, Tesla List
<tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>, you wrote:

>> I just recently disassembled an old microwave (circa 1983?) and I got an
>> old 15+ lb transformer out of it that is used to drive the magnetron. It
>> has two secondaries, one for the magnetron filament, the other for the
>> magnetron drive. I don't know what the exact outputs are, but I also took
>> out a 1 MFD, 2000V oil-filled cap (Yes, i discharged it before i touched
>> it...;) that the Drive section of the secondary was connected in series
>> with. The wire in the secondary is fairly heavy (~16 ga on the filament
>> winding, ~22ga on the drive winding) My question is: Since this is a fairly
>> low-voltage transformer (i guess about 1000-1500V), but the current rating
>> must be fairly high, because of the size of the wire in the secondary,
>> would it be suitable for a tesla coil?

> It doesn't have any current limiting
>> shunts on it, so would I have to put something on it to limit the current?

Note this lack of the magnetic shunt limiting.

>> Also, would the cap I retrieved from the oven be suitable for
>> pulse-discharge experiments? If the x-former isn't suitable for tesla work,
>> could I use it for a pulse-discharge supply?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> James.....
>
>James,
>
>It could be used as a plate transformer for a tube coil. The single
>transformer itself has too low a voltage for a disruptive coil. The 1 uF
>cap is too big and the wrong type (filter, probably mylar) for TC use.
>Soory!

All,
	For 60Hz, the 1uf cap has an impedance of 2.6Kohms. At 1300
volts that yields a current limit of 500mA for a microwave input power
of 650W. (round numbers used here;)  That cap is the current limiter
for the transformer which explains Kevin's experience of welding a
screw driver from the transformer without using that cap.

	jim